Thrift Shop fire

Dorothy Cox holds up shorted electrical cord that started the fire.

Just a matter of minutes saved the Archer City Thrift Store and possibly adjoining businesses from going up in blazes. Archer City Volunteer Fire Department was toned out to a small fire at the Archer City Thrift Shop Tuesday morning.

According to AC Emergency Management Coordinator Joe Aulds, who was on scene, “The fire appeared to have started due to a short from a small refrigerator in the back room, catching a box of clothes on fire.”

He said that Dorothy Cox, who runs the thrift shop, had stopped by the store to get a little girl a coat to wear. When she opened the door the smoke billowed out.

Aulds said that fire and poilice departments acted quickly.

Reverend Ben Rigsby of First United Methodist Church and church member Jeremy Luna were up at the thrift shop helping Dorothy Cox clean up after the fire was put out.

Rev. Rigsby said, “Just 5 more minutes and this whole store could have been abalze.”

Owner of the building and adjoining buildings Judy Miller, suffered minor smoke damage in the building next to the thrift shop. Miller said,”If it had not been discovered right away, I probably would have lost my store and other buildings”

Cox said that business will go on as usual. She stated that clothes may have to go on sale because of the smoke, but the building itelf sustained minor damage other than smoke.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.